From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
|Centuries:||15th century - 16th century - 17th century|
|Decades:|| 1530s 1540s 1550s - 1560s - 1570s 1580s 1590s
|Years:||1562 1563 1564 - 1565 - 1566 1567 1568|
Events of 1565
January - June
- March 1 - The city of Rio de Janeiro is founded.
- April 27 - Cebu City (originally named San Miguel) is established by Miguel López de Legaspi becoming the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines.
- May 18 - The Ottoman troops landed on the island of Malta. The Great Siege of Malta began.
- June 17 - Matsunaga Hisahide assassinates the 13th Ashikaga Shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiteru.
July - December
- July 29 - Mary Stuart, widowed, marries Lord Darnley, Duke of Albany.
- August 28 - St. Augustine, Florida (named after St. Augustine), established. It is the oldest remaining European settlement in the United States.
- September 4 - Spanish fleet of Pedro Menéndez de Avilés lands on modern-day Florida to oust the French under Jean Ribault. He later destroys the French colony of Fort Caroline.
- September 8 - Pedro Menéndez de Avilés settles in St. Augustine, Florida.
- September 8 - The Knights of Malta lift the Turkish Siege of Malta (siege started on May 18).
- In Russia, it is the beginning of the Opritchtina.
- The pencil is first documented by Conrad Gesner.
- John Beddoes School is founded.
- April 2 - Cornelis de Houtman, Dutch explorer (died 1599)
- May 15 - Hendrick de Keyser, Dutch architect and sculptor (died 1621)
- August 16 - Christina, Grand Duchess of Tuscany (died 1637)
- September 28 - Alessandro Tassoni, Italian poet and writer (died 1635)
- November 10 - Laurentius Paulinus Gothus, Swedish theologian and astronomer (d. 1646)
- date unknown
- 8Reza Abbasi, Persian painter and calligrapher (died 1635)
- Gregor Aichinger, German composer (died 1628)
- Edward Blount, English printer
- Ferdinando Gorges, English colonial entrepreneur (died 1647)
- Marie de Gournay, French writer (died 1645)
- John Davies of Hereford, Welsh poet (died 1618)
- George Kirbye, English composer (died 1634)
- Duarte Lobo, Portuguese composer (died 1646)
- Francis Meres, English churchman and author (died 1647)
- Pedro Fernández de Quirós, Portuguese seaman and explorer (died 1614)
- John Spottiswoode, Archbishop of St Andrews (died 1639)
- Francis Tanfield, Governor of the South Falkland colony
- Edmund Whitelocke, English soldier and courtier (died 1608)
- Robert Wintour, English conspirator (died 1606)
- See also Category: 1565 births.
- January 19 - Diego Laynez, Jesuit theologian (born 1512)
- March 17 - Alexander Ales, Scottish theologian (born 1500)
- May 28 - Mikołaj "the Black" Radziwiłł, Polish magnate (born 1515)
- June 12 - Adrianus Turnebus, French classical scholar (born 1512)
- June 17 - Ashikaga Yoshiteru, Japanese shogun (born 1536)
- August - Jacques Buus, Flemish composer and organist (born 1500)
- September 20 - Cypriano de Rore, Flemish composer and teacher (born 1515)
- October 5 - Lodovico Ferrari, Italian mathematician (born 1522)
- October 12 - Jean Ribault, French explorer and colonizer (born 1520)
- October 14 - Thomas Chaloner, English statesman and poet (born 1521)
- October 22 - Jean, Vicomte d'Aguisy Grolier de Servieres, French bibliophile (b. 1479)
- December 9 - Pope Pius IV (born 1499)
- December 13 - Conrad Gessner, Swiss naturalist (born 1516)
- date unknown
- See also Category: 1565 deaths.